TrueCaller is an app that came out recently from the country of Sweden. NumberBook is another app that has the concept TrueCaller has. These apps all came out in 2012 in the past 6 months. Both apps are to allow the person to look up any person he or she is looking for or the opposite which they search by the person’s phone number and the app gives you the name of that person who is calling you.
How both apps work? And from where do these apps get the information?
The system these apps work is when you download the app on your device weather it was a smart phone or a PC, the software sync your contacts that you have in your device and publish them. Also, another point is that the app publishes your most common name in devices of people who have that app. For Example, if your name is “Faris” and your name is Ben in the contacts list of three of your friends, and your name is “Faris Almathami” in two of the contacts lists of your friends devices so your name in the app is gonna be “Faris”.
The topic of TrueCaller and NumberBook is not only a security as security people might think, but it’s also a huge privacy issue. I think your phone number is something you wouldn’t like to share with everyone, especially if you are the kind of an important or famous person. These apps seem to be completely legal but I think both apps break the privacy for too many people who don’t have the chance to not allowing other people to get their numbers or names by numbers.
I personally got an idea for people who want to change their names in these apps which is:
* Get about 10 different devices or more and make sure these devices don’t have any contacts in them.
* Save your number with a totally different name or just a weird one; for example, (Irvine’s boutique) or (In-n-out) or anything you think the person who is looking your number up would think is wierd.
* Save another contact that has your actual name, nickname or the name you think would save you as in their devices with a weird number like (1234567890) or just (1).
* Download both apps in all devices.
* Allow both apps to sync or save all contacts in all devices.
* Done – check.