An increasing amount of people use Anti-Virus products every year, as it is important to do so. Some are certainly better than others and choosing the right Anti-Virus is important for many reasons. When considering an Anti-Virus product one should take these features into account.
- Real-time Scanner
- On-access Scanner
- On-Demand Scanner
- Heuristic Scanner
- Compressed File Scanner
- Scheduled Scans
- Script Blocking
- POP3 Email Scanning
- Web-mail Protection
- Instant Messaging Protection
- Automatic Virus Updates
- Automatic Program Updates
Here are some statistics on the top Anti-Virus programs for 2011. The statistics are done by AV-Test, an independent IT-Security Institute that does detailed test reports every year.
- “Protection”: Covers static and dynamic malware detection, including real-world 0-Day attack testing.
- “Repair”: Check the system disinfection and rootkit removal in detail.
- “Usability”: System slow-down caused by the tools and the number of false positives.
Personally I have always been a fan of Kaspersky, but within the last 4 years the top Anti-Virus products have been changing positions. Even Norton has gotten better and is less known for bloatware then what it used to be.
What Anti-Virus products do you guys recommend? Or do you believe these statistics to be quite accurate?