As cloud computing grows into one of the largest divisions of the IT industry, one might question the security. Many companies switched to the cheaper and more convenient service of using a cloud. And as these companies are putting all their information in the cloud, many feel concerned about how safe the cloud is.
A recent survey of over 700 firms found that 57.7 % believe that internal storage of the data would be safer than cloud service. While the other 42.3% is mainly unsure of what could be safer. Most firms believe that security is the biggest concern of cloud computing. Although all these companies are worried about the security of the cloud, many of them will find a reason to use it anyways. The greatest reasons being cost savings, availability, and access to more features.
So how safe is cloud computing? Well the answer to that depends. Since most cloud services are through third parties, which to companies can often seem risky, the security of the cloud will vary among the provider. Like all forms of security it is not all made equal. Since this cloud services are relatively recent it is difficult to find the most trusted cloud providers. This is when the security of a cloud could be a concern. Cloud computing is much newer which can be scary because many companies do not know as much about the standards of clouds. Just over half of the firms were aware of ISO/IEC certificate of security standards and of those half only a fourth were aware of the cloud security alliance standards (CSA security, trust, and Assurance Registry). Most of the time the largest problem in security of anything is ignorance, cloud computing is no exception. Companies need to be vigilant in how their cloud provider operates such as how they protect passwords. As a company the goal shouldn’t have to be skeptical about a cloud provider losing/exposing your information.